At Dollar Curtains and Blinds we pride ourselves on always being at the forefront of child safety. All of our products comply with the Australian child safety standards.
We are continuously introducing new ways to improve the safety of all of our products as well as ensuring we include warning labels on products which could be a risk.
STEPS TO REDUCE THE RISK...
Follow these four simple steps to ensure that Curtain and Blind cords/chains in your home are out of reach of children, particularly children under six.
1. Check your Curtain and Blind cords
- Do this anywhere you are staying, including on holiday.
- Check for loose or looped cords that your child can reach from the floor or by climbing on furniture.
- Immediately tie cords out of reach and move away any furniture children might climb on to reach them.
2. Secure loose cords out of reach
- Buy cleats or tensioning devices from one of our showrooms.
- Use at least two screws to fix each cleat or tensioning device in a place that is out of reach of children.
- Never secure these devices with materials that fail when a load is placed on them, such as double- sided tape or glue.
You can cut the dangerous loop out of some cords/ chains and attach a tassel to the end of each strand.
Some blinds will not operate without the loop, so get specialist advice before doing this.
If you cannot fix your unsafe cords and chains out of reach, get a reliable tradesperson to do it for you. If you are renting your home, seek help from your landlord or agent.
3. Choose safe Curtains and Blinds
Only buy new Curtains and Blinds which:
- Have warning labels to remind you of the dangers to children
- Provide a way to secure cords/chains so there are no loops or strands that children can reach, or
- Operate without exposed cords/chains.
4. Keep children away from all cords/chains
- Move anything a young child can sit in, stand in or climb on (like cots, highchairs, beds, sofas, tables, chairs and bookshelves) away from cords/ chains—even those tied around a cleat, as your child may be able to untie them.
- Do not let your child play near cords/chains they can easily reach.
- Never leave your child alone in a room with cords/chains they can reach.
PRODUCTS WHICH REDUCE THE RISK...
- Our range of fully automated motor systems. With no cords being used, these can be fitted to many of our products, allowing a child safe alternative.
- Verticals with a wand system. The wand has an inbuilt cord to tilt the blade.
- Curtains on a Motorised or Hand Operated Track.
- Drift panels with no cords.
- Shutters which use no cords.
For more information please read the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission Blind and Curtain Cords Safety Alert attached below.